Welcome to the Mentholdan Lounge - The Mentholdan Lounge - Stop and Step

Welcome to the Mentholdan Lounge

StopandStep

Hey guys, this new section was created (Just in time for Cheltenham!) to get the best horse racing selections and comments from @Mentholdan. As a popular contributor and loyal member to the forum I thought it would be a good idea to have a contributor who knows about horses and could provide feedback to other punters. 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all due respect, make sure people are aware they are not tips but his selections.. as far as what I've seen hes just picking horses. I'd hate to see people putting money on them thinking its insider info and losing. A chunk of the vocal community seem to be people on gamstop and people who may have issues with gambling.

11 hours ago, LiamJ said:

With all due respect, make sure people are aware they are not tips but his selections.. as far as what I've seen hes just picking horses. I'd hate to see people putting money on them thinking its insider info and losing. A chunk of the vocal community seem to be people on gamstop and people who may have issues with gambling.

Spot on, I don't tip horses I just put my own fancies up for all to see. I never take any notice of newspaper tipsters, if they could make a profit from it they wouldn't be working for the Sun or Daily Mirror😁  I once had a fairly big bet on a horse called Governorship to win the Hunt Cup at Royal Ascot, the morning of the race I spoke to the head lad from the stable and asked him how the horse was, he said "you haven't backed that have you, it's got some heat in its leg, it's only running because the owner wants a runner at Royal Ascot" Governorship won the race that afternoon at 50-1, trust me, stable lads are the world's worse tipsters, they all think they're looking after the next Frankel. One of my best friends is an ex jockey, his brother still trains horses at the highest level. My friend said to me that his brother won't even tell him if thinks he has a certain  winner. In fact he told me never to back his brothers horses because he's so "cute" with them. 

I love my racing and love a bet and watching them on the TV and whenever possible I "capture" the betting slip and post it up here for all to see just to show I've put my money where my mouth is. I bet for Fun and normally only do lucky 15s, most bookies will give you x3 the odds if you only get 1 winner, also if your first three get beat you still have a chance of winning with the last selection. I use the same method all the time to pick my horses which basically means the horses pick themselves, if any of my methods selections are favourite I leave that race alone, there's no real profit to be made backing favorites unless your bets are large and you are very selective, I like to bet smallish stakes and bet everyday. 

2 hours ago, Mick said:

Amazed the festival is going ahead, what a way to rapidly spread the virus if 1 or 2  infected people who do not know they have it mingle in such a massive crowd.

Other countries would not fuck about, this would be cancelled already.

Have to agree with you here. They've cancelled events all over Europe that are at much smaller in attendance than Cheltenham to contain the spread of COVID19.

I assume the financial loss would be too big of a burden so they're going as planned.

6 hours ago, ads said:

Have to agree with you here. They've cancelled events all over Europe that are at much smaller in attendance than Cheltenham to contain the spread of COVID19.

I assume the financial loss would be too big of a burden so they're going as planned.

Where do you start and where would it end? There will be more people shopping on the high Streets all over the UK than the Cheltenham crowd. Shut down all the bookies to stop people contacting the virus by handling banknotes, slips and coming in contact with the Fobts? . Stepandstop is off to see Morrisey, cancel that too? Your weekly shop and how about Sunday Church services? Where will I go to pray for a winner? What about the rush hours in the commute to and from work? 

I don't think we can blame greedy bookies on this one, you either carry on as usual in all that you/we do or it's total containment which basically means the whole of the UK comes to a standstill. 

Mentholdan I'm glad you didnt take offence to my message, I can see you know the what to look for stuff so you're a big leap ahead of that bloke in every bookies telling everyone the tip hes been given 😂, everyone knows what I'm on about and then every sucker lumps on the 12/1 donkey that comes in a few prices and doesnt even know how to leave the starting stalls. I hate seeing people lose more than they can afford is all.

On the covid19 point though - they're trying to contain it and it's impossible. Impossible. There will never be no one working, walking the streets, shopping etc so I'm not worried personally. If I get it I get it why would people waste time with worry and anxiety. Stay safe people!

5 minutes ago, LiamJ said:

Mentholdan I'm glad you didnt take offence to my message, I can see you know the what to look for stuff so you're a big leap ahead of that bloke in every bookies telling everyone the tip hes been given 😂, everyone knows what I'm on about and then every sucker lumps on the 12/1 donkey that comes in a few prices and doesnt even know how to leave the starting stalls. I hate seeing people lose more than they can afford is all.

On the covid19 point though - they're trying to contain it and it's impossible. Impossible. There will never be no one working, walking the streets, shopping etc so I'm not worried personally. If I get it I get it why would people waste time with worry and anxiety. Stay safe people!

Of course I wouldn't take offence. Only once have I mentioned a horse on here and recommended it as a bet "not a tip" If memory serves, and I'm sure it's in the archives, I said something like "this horse is running at its perfect distance in a grade he's more than capable of winning in and at a weight he could win at" the horse was 33-1 at the time and eventually won at 12-1. It was about 9 months ago and I can't for the life of me remember the horses name at the moment. But all the rest of my selections are from a method I use to pick them and I just stick to that. I'll explain more In a later post, I'm a bit busy at work atm. 😁

17 hours ago, Mentholdan said:

Where do you start and where would it end? There will be more people shopping on the high Streets all over the UK than the Cheltenham crowd. Shut down all the bookies to stop people contacting the virus by handling banknotes, slips and coming in contact with the Fobts? . Stepandstop is off to see Morrisey, cancel that too? Your weekly shop and how about Sunday Church services? Where will I go to pray for a winner? What about the rush hours in the commute to and from work? 

I don't think we can blame greedy bookies on this one, you either carry on as usual in all that you/we do or it's total containment which basically means the whole of the UK comes to a standstill. 

On a similar note, in an attempt to contain the virus they’ve stopped the traditional handshake before football matches throughout England and Scotland whilst 40,000 people are cramped together watching in the stands.

Makes absolutely no sense to me!

On 3/5/2020 at 12:18 PM, StopandStep said:

Hey guys, this new section was created (Just in time for Cheltenham!) to get the best horse racing selections and comments from @Mentholdan. As a popular contributor and loyal member to the forum I thought it would be a good idea to have a contributor who knows about horses and could provide feedback to other punters. 

Then why choose @Mentholdan? He knows nicksy 🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Good idea though, I was going to start a similar thread.....

Oh and guess where I’ll be next week 😉 

D110E862-D9E5-4E5C-8520-0D773E852DD7.jpeg

On 3/6/2020 at 8:44 AM, Mick said:

Amazed the festival is going ahead, what a way to rapidly spread the virus if 1 or 2  infected people who do not know they have it mingle in such a massive crowd.

Other countries would not fuck about, this would be cancelled already.

What a total snowflake ❄️ 

Have you any idea the devastation the cancellation of the festival over foot & mouth caused the local economy?

82,149 people were at Wembley last week and I didn’t see you moaning then? Plus a football stadium is a far more enclosed place.

Its a bad cold FFS! If you have underlying health issues or are older (over 70), then yes good advice is stay away from such events, otherwise let’s all get on with life eh?

This isn’t Outbreak with Dustin Hoffman or Contagion with Matt Damon! 

Anyway Let’s crack on with the event itself.  For anyone who’s a bit of a Cheltenham virgin here’s some tips to have an excellent 4 days either at the track, on the sofa or down the pub with your mates!

1, check out the offers, bookies are literally falling over themselves for your business! I hope Darren doesn’t mind but here’s 2 to start with:

Bet 365 are going to double your money up to £100 if you’re a new customer so if you fancied spending £100 over the 4 days you can double your fun!

Sky are doing their usual on the 1st race every day, if your fancy loses you get your money back up to £10. It’s literally a free bet. Mind though it only applies to the first bet you stake in the race!

2, Most winners will cone from the fist 5or6 in the market so if you focus your study around these animals you’ll give yourself a good chance. Of course there will be some 33/1 chances spring a surprise!

3, I hate bets like the L-15 (sorry @Mentholdan I know you love your L-15), they are literally the bookies best friend. That’s said most people like the prospect of a big win for a little outlay, just don’t expect the Earth! Target singles to make a little profit and if you’re doing well increase your unit stake to try and take advantage! Let’s say you’re betting £5 a race and find after day 1 your £100 up, consider betting a little more (maybe up it to £7.50 a race) and see if your form is holding, if it goes wrong simply drop the stake back down again!

3, Nothing wrong with each way betting, especially in the big handicaps! Check the offers again! Is there a bookie paying 5 or 6 places! Just remember to check the place terms haven’t changed. In a big handicap you should be offered 4 places at 1/4 odds but some bookies entice you in by offering more place but they cut the fraction to 1/5 or even 1/6 😮.

4, The placepot is a great fun bet over the first 6 races each day and often Cheltenham placepot dividends can run easily into 4 figures! I know a few folk who’ve cracked it for a couple of quid and walked away with over a grand!!!!

5, Cheltenham is a marathon not a sprint! If you’ve had a losing first day, don’t panic! There still 3 days and 21 races left! The worst thing you can do is try and chase, you’ll dig a deeper hole. Patience is key!

Theres 5 to get you started, I’ll post a few more between now and Tuesday!

The Cheltenham Festival is jump racings equivalent of Royal Ascot. The best Hurdlers and Chasers in the UK and Ireland will be out in force to stake their claim as the best horse in their class. Irish trainers do very well at the festival, Willie Mullins and Gordon Elliot are the two big guns but keep an eye out for anything trained by A "Tony" Martin, especially if it's being backed at long odds and it may pay this year to look out for any horses trained by Joseph O'brien. The top British trainers are Nicky Henderson, Paul Nicholls, Colin Tizzard, Alan King, Olly Murphy, Dan Skelton, Nigel Twiston Davies, these guys seldom come away without a winner. Jockeys to look out for are Robbie Power, Aiden Coleman, Nico de Boinville, Sam Twiston Davies, Harry Skelton, Richard Johnson, Briony Frost, Rachel Blackmore, Jamie Codd is a superb amateur Jockey, as good as any pro and a young jockey making a name for himself is Jonjo O'Neil Jr. 

Archived