Welcome to the Mentholdan Lounge - Page 2 - The Mentholdan Lounge - Stop and Step

Welcome to the Mentholdan Lounge

StopandStep

To write down everyrhing you've learned over the years about horseracing In general would be the equivalent of writing war and peace. So keep checking back for snippets and and basic trivia. The King In The North is helping by uploading his comments, you can't have too much information and you can't remember everything. It would be fun if he and I had a Cheltenham challenge, 1 selection in every race over the four days and see who comes out best from a £1 imaginary level stake. 

So what do you think King, are you up for a fun challenge? 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Mentholdan said:

To write down everyrhing you've learned over the years about horseracing In general would be the equivalent of writing war and peace. So keep checking back for snippets and and basic trivia. The King In The North is helping by uploading his comments, you can't have too much information and you can't remember everything. It would be fun if he and I had a Cheltenham challenge, 1 selection in every race over the four days and see who comes out best from a £1 imaginary level stake. 

So what do you think King, are you up for a fun challenge? 

Defo mate!

your right, I could write teams of basics dos and Donts for horse racing, all learned the hard way and I still break most of the rules.

got a wee lift today, took my car to be valeted before the long drive on Tuesday  morning, spent the time in the arcade playing a few slots.. walked in with £200  and out with £750.... that’s day 1 covered...... maybe 🙈🙈🤣🤣🤣🤣

31 minutes ago, Mentholdan said:

The Cheltenham Festival is jump racings equivalent of Royal Ascot. The best Hurdlers and Chasers in the UK and Ireland will be out in force to stake their claim as the best horse in their class. Irish trainers do very well at the festival, Willie Mullins and Gordon Elliot are the two big guns but keep an eye out for anything trained by A "Tony" Martin, especially if it's being backed at long odds and it may pay this year to look out for any horses trained by Joseph O'brien. The top British trainers are Nicky Henderson, Paul Nicholls, Colin Tizzard, Alan King, Olly Murphy, Dan Skelton, Nigel Twiston Davies, these guys seldom come away without a winner. Jockeys to look out for are Robbie Power, Aiden Coleman, Nico de Boinville, Sam Twiston Davies, Harry Skelton, Richard Johnson, Briony Frost, Rachel Blackmore, Jamie Codd is a superb amateur Jockey, as good as any pro and a young jockey making a name for himself is Jonjo O'Neil Jr. 

Tony Martin is a crooked fooker!!!!!!

I think the Irish could do particularly well with the ground being on the soft side... Irish racing is always on softer going as it’s a wetter country so it’ll be an advantage.

The North V The South, it'll be a laugh. I suggest we upload the selections on a daily basis the night before? Any other rules you want to include, no kicking biting etc. 😜

2 minutes ago, TheKingInTheNorth said:

Tony Martin is a crooked fooker!!!!!!

I think the Irish could do particularly well with the ground being on the soft side... Irish racing is always on softer going as it’s a wetter country so it’ll be an advantage.

Yup, not to mention they held their "champions" meeting earlier this year so their horses will be a bit "fresher" for Cheltenham. Traditionally Cheltenham has not been lucky for me, Aintree in a few weeks time has been kind to me and God knows why but I nearly always do well at Haydock??? 

2 hours ago, Mentholdan said:

Yup, not to mention they held their "champions" meeting earlier this year so their horses will be a bit "fresher" for Cheltenham. Traditionally Cheltenham has not been lucky for me, Aintree in a few weeks time has been kind to me and God knows why but I nearly always do well at Haydock??? 

Oddly enough, I find Aintree a bit easier as well.

3 hours ago, Mentholdan said:

The North V The South, it'll be a laugh. I suggest we upload the selections on a daily basis the night before? Any other rules you want to include, no kicking biting etc. 😜

Can we make it by 11am on the day in question as I’ll be too pissed in the evenings after the racing, alternatively we could PM our picks to Darren or step&stop and they could post them at the same time if one of them is up for it?

No others, other than it’s a £1 win to SP, could also add a NAP selection each day and if it wins it’s a £2 equivalent for that pick?

OK £1 per selection and £2 on the nap each day,  all to win and its best returns to stake over the four days. If neither of us find a winner over the four days "not impossible" we'll just call it a draw till Aintree? 

6 hours ago, Mentholdan said:

OK £1 per selection and £2 on the nap each day,  all to win and its best returns to stake over the four days. If neither of us find a winner over the four days "not impossible" we'll just call it a draw till Aintree? 

I’ll call it a holocaust if I’m 0/28 but yeah

If you are having a bet at Cheltenham and your not a regular punter watch out for the jockey colours!!! Certain owners will have multiple runners in many of the races, for example JP Mcmanus may have 3,4 or5 runners in one race all wearing the same colours but they will all be wearing a different colour cap, green, white or gold or a mix of all three so to make life easier for yourself check the right colours for your horse. Also, I mentioned two female jockeys, Rachel Blackmore and Bryony Frost, these two ladies are AS GOOD AS ANY MALE Jockey and better than most. Blackmore is the stronger of the two while Frost is probably the better of the two when it comes to jockeyship, horses do seem to run for her. It would be great to see these two fighting out the finish in a major race. 

Don't forget to check the newspapers, the Sun, Mirror and Star normally give you a free £1 bet on any race each day. If you buy a paper every day you might as well take up the offer. 

Some guesses for Tuesday:

1 FiddlerontheRoof 13/2

2 Esprit Du Large 11/1

3 Espante 7/2

4 No bet on the mares race between the front 2 so no value imho.

5  Mithouka 33/1

6 Sprinfield Fox 7/1

The races can be a bit of a lottery and not always won by the best form horse. Mine are just a rabid bunch that have won on testing tracks/conditions at places like Thurles, Exeter, Sandown, Fairyhouse, Kempton and Hereford. Gone ew on the 5 fold and win trebles. On the day I will back the singles on the exchange because realistically one winner would be profit and a good result.

Skipped the 3rd race. Vinndication 6/1 fav looks tempting but he has jumped right before, has plenty of weight, it's Topspeed figure is midtable and there are potentially many flies in the ointment. Cogry would be my punt at 20/1, although the Racingpost don't agree, no shock to see almost anything win this race.

OK, here goes, selections for day one. 

1.30 Chantry House. 2.10 Fakir D'oudaries. 2.50.The Conditional. 3.30.Call Me Lord. 4.10 Elfile. 4.50 Espoir De Guye. 5.30 Ravenhill. 

On 3/8/2020 at 3:42 PM, Mentholdan said:

If you are having a bet at Cheltenham and your not a regular punter watch out for the jockey colours!!! Certain owners will have multiple runners in many of the races, for example JP Mcmanus may have 3,4 or5 runners in one race all wearing the same colours but they will all be wearing a different colour cap, green, white or gold or a mix of all three so to make life easier for yourself check the right colours for your horse. Also, I mentioned two female jockeys, Rachel Blackmore and Bryony Frost, these two ladies are AS GOOD AS ANY MALE Jockey and better than most. Blackmore is the stronger of the two while Frost is probably the better of the two when it comes to jockeyship, horses do seem to run for her. It would be great to see these two fighting out the finish in a major race. 

I was going to say something but I’ll bit my lip in this pc world but yes both very capable, just they do my head in when they start blubbing after winning 🙄 

Archived