What’s on your playlist? - Page 7 - Off Topic - Stop and Step

What’s on your playlist?

BlindHaze

It’s Friday, keeping to my usual weekend ritual with beer and music.

Happy 60th birthday to rhythm guitarist and vocalist Jeffrey Isbell, aka Izzy Stradlin who walked out on Guns n Roses after the incident I posted a while back.

Thought I’d share one of his songs, a nice cover of the already well covered Pressure Drop, originally performed by Toots and The Maytals.

Edited by BlindHaze

1 hour ago, e_abrams said:

I had not seen that one before, it's so cool!

There are quite a few pics on line from this session, the best ones in black and white. They're stills from the TV show Marc, aired in Sept. 1977 just 2 weeks before Bolans death. Bowie sings a live version of Heroes on the show, the Bolan /Bowie duet was cut short when Bolan fell of the stage. Bolan was a champion of the punk new wave era, he gave The Jam, Boomtown Rats and Billy Idol their first TV appearances on this show and earlier that year he toured the UK with The Damned as his support band.

• Thanks 1

I think that artists from the past had more persona than those that are around today and maybe that was born out of necessity because there was no social media then, mostly radio and TV and magazines. I recall an interview with Elton John who was a friend of Marc Bolan, when he was asked what kind of person Bolan was. He said that you could be in a room full of people and Bolan would walk in and it was like all of a sudden someone had sprinkled stardust in the air. People like him and Bowie and Freddie and Rod Stewart had this aura about them..

If you go onto YouTube and search for 'When Bowie met Bolan' its a 30 minute short story of when they first ever met when they were both 16. The story is a true event about how the two of them had the same manager at that time and to pay him for his services he got them in to paint his office as they were both broke. Its a fun watch.

9 hours ago, Mentholdan said:

I think that artists from the past had more persona than those that are around today and maybe that was born out of necessity because there was no social media then, mostly radio and TV and magazines. I recall an interview with Elton John who was a friend of Marc Bolan, when he was asked what kind of person Bolan was. He said that you could be in a room full of people and Bolan would walk in and it was like all of a sudden someone had sprinkled stardust in the air. People like him and Bowie and Freddie and Rod Stewart had this aura about them..

If you go onto YouTube and search for 'When Bowie met Bolan' its a 30 minute short story of when they first ever met when they were both 16. The story is a true event about how the two of them had the same manager at that time and to pay him for his services he got them in to paint his office as they were both broke. Its a fun watch.

I think it started going wrong when the likes of Simon Cowell came in to play. Music was produced to be bland and suitable for TOTP.

I always wonder how some the noise on the radio I’m forced to endure at work can be referred to as music. A lot of bands mime to whatever songs their manager tells them to, they don’t play instruments, their dancing is choreographed and it’s generally bloody awful. Where’s the emotion and self expression? Where’s the talent? 

I agree with your points about bands getting noticed though, nowadays anyone can shove a video on YouTube. Guns n Roses nearly didn’t make it, Appetite for Destruction had sold a not unreasonable but certainly not groundbreaking 250k copies in the first year. No network would touch ‘the world’s most dangerous band’. However, a few strings were pulled and they managed to get the video to Welcome To The Jungle played on MTV at 5am CET on a Sunday. The only people who would be up were the unemployable and stoners. It almost immediately became MTV’s most requested song and, because you had to phone in to request a song in the 80s, the switchboard quite literally caught fire.

The album has now sold more than 30 million copies….

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, BlindHaze said:

64C945C7-D4FD-47B5-91E5-8CC9ED571AE3.thumb.jpeg.9682a977ee4e304edbf1ea44b2a16b8e.jpeg

This arrived yesterday, looking forward to giving it a spin. 🙂 

Nice, the iconic Electric Warrior cover, this is my favourite from the cover of the Slider. The photo from the album cover is credited to Ringo Starr but since been proven to have been taken by Tony Visconti.

02A2F3B9-8AD7-402F-9DC4-845C4DC8B1A7.png

2 hours ago, Mentholdan said:

Nice, the iconic Electric Warrior cover, this is my favourite from the cover of the Slider. The photo from the album cover is credited to Ringo Starr but since been proven to have been taken by Tony Visconti.

02A2F3B9-8AD7-402F-9DC4-845C4DC8B1A7.png

I chose it for 2 reasons - it was the first T. Rex album I bought, but also it was on Amazon so I knew I’d get my money back if they failed to deliver! 🤣

I don’t own Slider yet, but very familiar with the cover, I couldn’t tell you who’d taken the photo though. I suppose Ringo is one of those myths that seems to linger like Bob Holness playing sax on Baker Street! 

23 minutes ago, BlindHaze said:

I chose it for 2 reasons - it was the first T. Rex album I bought, but also it was on Amazon so I knew I’d get my money back if they failed to deliver! 🤣

I don’t own Slider yet, but very familiar with the cover, I couldn’t tell you who’d taken the photo though. I suppose Ringo is one of those myths that seems to linger like Bob Holness playing sax on Baker Street! 

Yeah Bob Holness, I wonder where that came from?

22 hours ago, BlindHaze said:

64C945C7-D4FD-47B5-91E5-8CC9ED571AE3.thumb.jpeg.9682a977ee4e304edbf1ea44b2a16b8e.jpeg

This arrived yesterday, looking forward to giving it a spin. 🙂 

BTW 16th September is on a Friday this year. I’m not sure if I’m driving or taking the train. I live about 10 mins. from Morden underground station and it’s a straight through run from there but if there’s a train strike on that day I’ll have to drive.