What’s on your playlist? - Page 2 - Off Topic - Stop and Step

What’s on your playlist?

BlindHaze

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

was a metel head growing up , thin lizzy , sabbath , rainbow , judas priest , iron maiden , saxon , zeppelin , the who , rush , springsteen , iggy p and the stooges , the clash , the stones , l skynard , the jam , rory gallagher , blue oyster cult , elo , blondie , the ramones , tom petty , & last but not least , the KING 🙂 . MY KIDS THINK IM INSANE 

• Like 1

My old mate Marc Bolan would have been 73 today, a magic man, a real grafter and very very generous person. Left us way too soon. Will be inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of fame in october/ November.

I wonder where Slash gets his ideas from? 

DK-kEbOUMAAZy3D.jpg_small.jpg

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Been in a punky nostalgia mood today, The Damned and The Ramones, a bit of Siouxie, Joan Jett and The Runaways. 

The Damned The Ramones and The Runaways all released classic debut albums, if you think you're not a fan of punk try giving those 3 albums a listen, you might just change your mind. 

I watched the movie "Stardust" last night, its a biopic of the early days of Bowies career. The story was very good but where the hell did they get these actors from? Marc Bolan looked more like a bricklayer! And as for the scene where Bolan is offering Bowie some LSD ?? err, I don't think so, Bolan was too scared to take an aspirin let alone LSD. 

It also kind of hinted that they didn't like each other, Marc and Deeb were best mates from the age of 16, Deeb was Godfather to Marc's son after he died and literally paid for his upbringing. Also Angie Bowie was American but was played by anEnglish actress? 

The story was good over-all and well worth a watch though. 

This mornings playlist was mostly Matt Monro and Nat King Cole. A bit diverse? 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/25/2019 at 7:48 PM, Mentholdan said:

IMG_20190916_140754.jpg.81efbf5f2e740d8a23bccf3c6f68098c.jpgBack in the early 70s it was these two guys who opened my eyes "and ears" to music. They became friends at the age of 16 and although they played on each others records many times, this photo was taken the ONLY time they played live together. Bowie went on to make music into his late 60s early 70s, sadly Bolan died at the age of 29 just over a week after this photo was taken and was never able to show the world his true potential. Ironically, Bolan died in 1977 practically broke for a pop star, leaving around £50k. The current value of his estate is valued at around £60 million, I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually more like double that figure. Bolan cut a diminutive figure, he was only 5'5" and besides his musical success he also wrote a best selling book of poetry at the age of 22 called The Warlock Of Love. If anyone here has never heard his album Electric Warrior they should seek out a copy and give it a listen. Bowies finest hour for me was the album Ziggy Stardust. Both albums should be in everyone's collection. 

A little late, but just added it to my basket 🙂

7106D559-5652-4633-B7E9-946AEFAC1AE9.thumb.png.876ea5794483ef9736e56b359ace48b5.png

Also, just realised there’s no love for Led Zeppelin yet. So many classic riffs, Whole Lotta Love, Black Dog, Immigrant Song..... but this is the one that always stands out for me.

Good to see you ordered the vinyl version. If you've never heard the album there are a couple of classic singles on there but 9 or 10 tracks you wouldn't have heard. There's a YouTube video of the band playing Get it On, on Top of the Pops with a mop topped Elton John playing piano. As for Led Zeppelin, I've heard the classics on the radio of course but never been convinced to try an album. I've always been more of a Pink Floyd man, I think their sound was more commercial. I do remember that Whole Lotta Love was the theme to Top of The Pops but the Beeb in their wisdom chose to play the CCS version. Probably before your time. 

45 minutes ago, Mentholdan said:

Good to see you ordered the vinyl version. If you've never heard the album there are a couple of classic singles on there but 9 or 10 tracks you wouldn't have heard. There's a YouTube video of the band playing Get it On, on Top of the Pops with a mop topped Elton John playing piano. As for Led Zeppelin, I've heard the classics on the radio of course but never been convinced to try an album. I've always been more of a Pink Floyd man, I think their sound was more commercial. I do remember that Whole Lotta Love was the theme to Top of The Pops but the Beeb in their wisdom chose to play the CCS version. Probably before your time. 

Hopefully it’ll be with me by the weekend, you never know with Amazon - they delivered one of my Christmas presents to ‘a resident at my address’. Now I’ve been looking all around my house for the last couple of months, and I’m damned if I can find my lodger.

It often sounds pretentious, but I honestly prefer vinyl. Something about the crackle when you place the needle on, the sound quality and even the memories of my childhood when sticking a record on. Ms Haze invested a good amount of money in a record player a couple of years ago - I must say that it’s probably the best household purchase we’ve ever made. We do own a couple of Pink Floyd albums - we often stick a few LPs on and have a few beers at home on a Friday night and Dark Side Of The Moon makes a few regular appearances.

Anyway, looking forward to my delivery. As you said, you hear the songs that get airtime but miss probably over 90% of a band’s material. If I mention my favourite band Guns n Roses, a lot of people respond ‘oh, they did Sweet Child o Mine’. Well yeah, but listen to Coma, Patience, It’s So Easy, Used To Love Her, Breakdown and Rocket Queen - you’ll soon realise that you’ve missed a lot of what the band’s about.

Oh, and I was born the year John Bonham died, so possibly a little before my time 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, BlindHaze said:

@Mentholdan album’s arrived, looks like one that should be enjoyed over a few beers so saving it for the weekend 🙂

2291F89F-2774-45BF-864C-25761AC0ED79.jpeg

We all have different tastes but I hope you enjoy it. I like discovering new artists or rediscovering the old ones, it can often lead to a voyage of discovery. Electric warrior is pretty mainstream and is in most music critics top 100 albums to have in your collection. I think the surprising thing about the album is that it's over 50 years old but still sounds as fresh and contemporary as the day it was released.