What’s on your playlist? - Off Topic - Stop and Step

What’s on your playlist?

BlindHaze

Many years ago on a Sunday, 5 or 6 of us would meet up to watch the football and have 1 too many pints. However, one day I thought it would be a great idea if everyone had to get out their iPhones or iPods (yeah, I said a few years back!) and show everyone the last song playing on their device. It was then down to everyone to decide who had the worst taste in music and they had to get the next round. Happy days...

Leads on to my question. What music are you folks in to? I’ve always been a big fan of Guns N Roses (saw them at the London Stadium) and Queen (too young to have seen them!). I’ve also recently really gotten into the supergroup The Travelling Wilburys.

Anyone agree with any of my favourites or have I missed the mark by a long way?

• Like 1

I love my music. 

Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, Prince, Bolan, Bowie, Floyd, Morrisey, Queen, Matt Monro, Cockney Rebel, Gipsy Kings, The Damned, Roxy Music, Flamin Groovies, Enrique Bunbury. 

Just lately I've gotten into the Hollywood Vampires. 

BTW. My cousin Brian was a minder for the Wilburys. 

AC/DC - Triumph - Queen - a fair bit of Motown - Andy Williams when he sings "Home lovin man" and the soundtrack from "Streets of Fire" a corny little known Walter Hill "B" movie from the 80's with a lots of music written by Jim Steinman (have a preview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3ZrNz83meA  ) tends to lift my energy levels when i am flagging.

I love Morrisey but he really is one obnoxious t**t. I was chatting to a mate about him last week and I said then that he's hard to like and very easy to dislike. 

I saw the movie of his early life the other night, well worth a watch. 

There's a show on Sky Arts called Urban Myths. The episode where Bowie meets Bolan for the first time when they were both 16 is excellent too. It's a true story and it's based on their take of what happened on that day. 

Purple Rain is basically Prince's early life, a good movie with great music, for me anyway. 

• Like 1

Damn, I’m happy to be on the same forum as folks with some excellent taste in music.

Ms Haze is about 10 years younger than me so she looks back at the Spice Girls with fond nostalgia... saying that, I do the same with Adam Ant as he was big when I was very young...

Friday night so it’s steak and beer night with some Roy Orbison playing in the background.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This came up on my commute to work this morning, best live performance of this song I’ve ever seen, especially the last couple of minutes. Now that’s some down and dirty rock n roll....

• 3 months later...

We’ve got a few people around for a beer and music party and are listening to songs from yesteryear and our childhood.

Anyone else think this is the inspiration and precursor to Captain Jack Sparrow...?

IMG_20190916_140754.jpg.81efbf5f2e740d8a23bccf3c6f68098c.jpgBack in the early 70s it was these two guys who opened my eyes "and ears" to music. They became friends at the age of 16 and although they played on each others records many times, this photo was taken the ONLY time they played live together. Bowie went on to make music into his late 60s early 70s, sadly Bolan died at the age of 29 just over a week after this photo was taken and was never able to show the world his true potential. Ironically, Bolan died in 1977 practically broke for a pop star, leaving around £50k. The current value of his estate is valued at around £60 million, I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually more like double that figure. Bolan cut a diminutive figure, he was only 5'5" and besides his musical success he also wrote a best selling book of poetry at the age of 22 called The Warlock Of Love. If anyone here has never heard his album Electric Warrior they should seek out a copy and give it a listen. Bowies finest hour for me was the album Ziggy Stardust. Both albums should be in everyone's collection. 

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve never met anyone who has a neutral opinion of this song - you either love it or hate it, and I’m in the Kevin Keegan love it camp.

Happy Christmas all from sunny Southend!