Scam phone calls - General Discussion - Stop and Step

Scam phone calls

Mentholdan

Got a scam call this morning, a new one to me. A guy claiming to be from HMRC claiming a warrant was out in my name and arrest would be imminent unless I paid the amount on the spot with my card. 

They'll have to get up a bit earlier in the morning to sucker me but I wonder how many people have panicked and paid the money?? 

I like to watch the scam baiters on YouTube - Jim Browning and Kitboga being my favourites. If you carry on with the call, they’ll usually tell you to buy Google Play cards for payment which should set a few alarm bells ringing!

9 hours ago, Mentholdan said:

Got a scam call this morning, a new one to me. A guy claiming to be from HMRC claiming a warrant was out in my name and arrest would be imminent unless I paid the amount on the spot with my card. 

They'll have to get up a bit earlier in the morning to sucker me but I wonder how many people have panicked and paid the money?? 

tell them you currently have no access to a bank account but if they want to call to your home they can receive prompt payment .... with a block hammer  🙂

Honestly this is the sort of stuff they need to be teaching kids at school. They can then help their parents and grandparents. How many of you know how to calculate the units of alcohol in a drink? Multiply the abv% by the volume in ml and divide by 1000 = units. (example bottle of wine 750ml x 13% = 9,750 or 9.75 units). They need also to teach kids about drugs so when they come into contact it them they know what they are and what they do. 

They used to regularly ring me my office before lockdown, claiming to be from BT openreach and telling you to download some dodgy software.

I used to pretend to be an old lady going from one room to the other to install the software to keep them on the phone for as long as possible. Another good one would be asking them how to spell IP address, is it "eye pea?"

You still can’t beat the,We’ve been given your number because you’ve been involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault 

I played along with once and told him I died 😁😁

12 minutes ago, Stepandstop said:

You still can’t beat the,We’ve been given your number because you’ve been involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault 

I played along with once and told him I died 😁😁

I had one of those earlier in the week - judging by the lady I spoke to, it’s one of the few scams that originates from the UK.

18 hours ago, Mentholdan said:

There are some great scambait channel on YouTube but my favourite had to be when one managed to get through to a US police station and tell the police officers the police were coming to arrest her 😄

Archived