Advice re recording FOBT wins in Bookies - Bookies Slots and Roulette - Stop and Step

Advice re recording FOBT wins in Bookies

Stormy

I wondered if somebody could advise me on the position regarding recording FOBT wins in bookies. I know it is perfectly legal to record in public places with non-fixed devices such as a mobile phone, but not so clear inside a shop such as a bookies. I assume it is down to the discretion of the shop manager?

The reason I ask is I was in Corals today playing an FOBT and recording a bonus win on Black Knight effectively in a booth with a screen each side. A customer on the terminal next to me whom I don't know started shouting at me and then announcing to everybody in the shop I was recording. I was ignoring him as I was halfway through the bonus and after the bonus finished we had an altercation at which stage he entered my personal space and threatened me with violence by waving a metal crutch at me. I cashed out and left the shop but have put a complaint into Corals who are investigating.

FYI I did ask the manager in a different Corals many years ago if it was ok to record bonus wins for my records and was told this was fine.

My niece is a betting shop manager, I asked her what her thoughts were on people filming in the shop. She replied "I couldn't give a fuck" so I suppose it just depends on the shop manager. Maybe it's just that I'm getting old, but if I were in any establishment, be it bookies, bar or restaurant or whatever, and I was told I couldn't do this or that, I'd never cross their threshold again. I'd rather spend my hard earned where it was appreciated and I was shown some respect. I'm 63, a while ago I was involved in a dispute in a car park over the stupidest of small incidents, a youngish guy, in his early 20s grabbed me by the throat. The fact that I was just getting over a slipped disc and I have a brain between my ears I was able to just walk away. If you ever find yourself in a similar situation again as the one with the guy with the cane, just walk away, it's easy. 

You have no legal right to film in the shop as it doesn't count as a public space like the street you walked in off or the local park.
It would therefore be company policy and the amount the employee cares to enforce it.

Threatening violence is however a criminal offence.

Ok thanks for the information; I don't think the staff had any problem with me filming and I would have stopped if asked, it was no big deal to me it was only a 60sec clip of a bonus win.

There was only one assistant managing the shop when this happened and when I told her I had been threatened with violence she just mumbled she would investigate when the Manager came in. I did my best to walk away but this nutter was right in my face because I ignored him, calling me a tw** and w****r. I asked him why he was being such an a***h*** and he threatened me effectively with an iron bar.

Your quite right I should have just walked away and I regret engaging with him, but the verbal abuse was completely out of order. I was minding my own business in a booth filming a win on an FOBT. I will be interest to see what Coral's do about it they would have it on CCTV.

I used to work in a bookies. If I saw someone filming I wouldnt have been the slightest bothered unless someone had brought to my attention they don't want filming. As a bookies worker, we were constantly reminded not to acknowledge customers first out of work, so we couldn't say hello if they didn't unless we had a personal friendship with them out of work. Reason being - gambling could be something they haven't told partners, family etc and the bookies have no rights to be the ones to break their secret. Whilst in the bookies they actually have the right to their privacy so if your screen accidentally showed their reflection or their voice was on your recording and their partner ended up watching it- it could cause many issues.

Id say dont get arsey if you're told not to film to be honest as chances are its just workers respecting others right to privacy

LOL. I did have the presence of mind to consider my options. He was standing right in my face (so much for social distancing) so I knew there was not much chance of him being able to wield his crutch easily and I assumed I could just push him over. Honestly if he had not been disabled I don't think I would have taken the verbal abuse it was disgraceful behaviour.

Nothing from Coral's retail team yet about my complaint about threatening violence. I guess they are weighing up potential future losses before making any decision about what to do. It's a shame as I like the shop and often got a coffee from Nero and sat in there on a Sunday morning for 60mins before joining misses shopping. I'm reluctant to go to that Corals again as he is always in there griping about something so no doubt ready to have another pop at me. I'm on a hiding to nothing if I hit a disabled person and I am pretty narked about what happened.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to feed back as a month has gone by. Coral's sent me an email apologising for the incident and advised they were investigating; heard nothing since. I haven't been back to the shop and don't intend to go back.

Having got fleeced in a local Betfred (Napoleon) a couple of times, I've only been to a bookies three times in last month. Like any habit once you stop doing it it you soon forget about it. I can't see myself going into a bookies in the foreseeable future as I don't like wearing a mask unless I absolutely have to.

Putting a positive spin on it, it will save me a fortune.

Archived