Any possible advice...? - Responsible Gaming - Stop and Step

Any possible advice...?

Dan_94

With my grandad & dad both ‘small stakes punters’ I was always gonna get hooked on the Saturday afternoon football accumulators. However the addiction sadly turned the other direction with the Fobt’s. I have already been burned online (thank you gamstop) and 3 years clean online.However I’m now ploughing £100s through these machines and no sign of stopping. I plan my lucky 15’s and Union Jacks horse racing bets however as soon as I step in that money I was gonna place on the horses is now in the machines. I no the obvious answer but my passion is horse racing and football I have no gambling problem with these that’s the frustrating part. 

Hi Dan.... Must be dificult and it is good that you recognise the problem and even better that you are trying to address it... I'm no expert but would it help if you wrote your bet down and sent a partner or a close friend into the bookoies to place your bet ensuring you avoide the run in with temptation. 

Whatever the outcome stick at it and the bset of luck

Firstly you need to self-exclude yourself from the bookies. You can do it in shop, or use this service: https://self-exclusion.co.uk/ . 

If you really wish to continue with your bets, as Seaton Slots suggested, ask someone else to place the bet for you. 

Good luck, and let us know when you've done the first part.

• 2 months later...

Hi Dan you sound like a carbon copy of me . I walk in and feel a sense of spend when placing sports bets. Minute I slip a note in the machine the rest goes in without even an eyelid bat. I’ve had this same issue now a while and today I’ve self excluded again for my own health and finances! Like you I’m clean online 4 years with GameStop but this will be my 3rd self exclusion now the fobts keep roping me back in. As you can see Darren was 600 in today before he got a few wins. Like is that’s not possible to bankroll that. I know the thought of not been able to place footy bets is hard but trust me it’s the only solution. Hope you have found solace mate

Dan the difference between entertainment and compulsion is quite easy to identify. If you lose more than you can afford to lose or start chasing losses and end up losing a lot more than you intended in a session it is probably time to stop.

Most of us are treading the tightrope between enjoyment and chasing losses on fobt's. I like you am in control of my sports betting (mostly horse racing), but fobt's my mind can go soft during a bad session. What I have found is if I abstain for a while like any habit the urge does gradually diminish. During lockdown last year and the 15min time limit I didn't bet on fobt's for months and got used to it and saved a fortune. I have been enjoying the horse racing and footie betting much more.

If you really can't resist fobt's then as suggested self-exclude or maybe find out if your local bookie will allow you to bet on sports up to a limit and stop you betting on fobt's? self-exclusion is mostly down to you in bookies tbh, as very difficult to police.

Edited by Stormy

• 2 years later...

When l lose big like this weekend l just sit it out for a month, no gambling at all , if you can’t do that you have a problem, l regularly take time off gambling 2ir 3 times a year 

clear my head, no point chasing loses