Gambling career losses - General Discussion - Stop and Step

Gambling career losses

Ferg

Struggling a bit at the moment I need to give up for sure just can't let go from it.im 33 probably been gambling regularly since I was 17/18 but used to always have an interest at a young age going to the races with my mum etc.started out getting into racing circa 2004/2005 loved the Cheltenham festival this was the Moscow flyer kicking king and harry eustace era won myself a nice few quid.

15 years on I'm sitting here fuming with myself blew my last £30 on a fobt where I was meant to buy stuff.anytime I seem to have cash it just a betting fund really it eventually all goes.need to get out.

Anyways my question to anyone here how much do you think you have lost in your betting life.?I have no idea but easily over 30k I imagine.not many people boast a profit especially with fobts about!!

I have done this exercise using bank statements over a seven year period when I was really bad and I mean really bad.

It was the shock and awe I needed to rein it all in at the time.

I added up all deposits to online companies and all cash withdrawals over £100 as I was certain most of them were gambling related.

I also added up all the returns and unexplained cash deposits into accounts as they would most certainly have come from cash gambling.

Anyway the total deposits versus withdrawals left me with a deficit well into 5 figures... closer to six figures than four.

Is it any wonder I was at the front of the que to sign up to Gamstop?

FOBT are just the top of the iceberg, it’s the online that will decimate you.

Defo mate thanks for the honesty. Online becomes surreal doesn't even feel like real cash. Signed up to gamestop over a year ago now best thing I ever did just need to simmer the bookies down now I go thru heavy and quiet spells

Ferg, you should self-exclude from bookies? I don't know what bank you use but some allow you to block gambling and other expenses on your card. Barclays for example have a list of places where you can have you debit card blocked, such as pubs, shopping and gambling. If you try to use it in those places it comes up as declined. You can just block gambling, or pubs, that kind of thing, so you don't need to block them all. There are other banks that do it too, but I'm not sure on which ones.

Thanks Darren I never use my card in the bookies luckily just cash.im not losing a massive amount at the moment but have done over a long period of time.yes I'm thinking of self excluding I don't it before in my previous residence but I'm struggling to do it now as I don't want to let go fully.sounds silly but I'd love to be able to get to a place where I can wager £5 a week on footy.my issue is the fobts

I used to work for Betfred as a cleaner. I have excluded my from Ladbrokes around 7 years ago, never been back in there. Working for Fred was a self exclusion in it self. I could not bet where I was working. Worked out great.I would need to take my shoes and socks off to count up the self-exclusions I have had. The best way is to avoid going to certain places where bookmakers are. Take a different route. Buy online and have it delivered. Any way to avoid places near bookmakers. Maybe get a good trusted friend to go out to places with you, so you are distracted not tempted. They will remind you of your promise to your self. It is very difficult to avoid the FOBT if you are having a football bet. Self exclusion may be your only option. You can excluded your self from more than one bookmaker, by asking to do several bookmakers in your area. All bookmakers run this scheme as far as I know. Best of luck in your quest. It is very difficult to do but you can do it. Online complete, next the High Street. You can do it. All the best.

On 10/10/2019 at 12:04 PM, Ferg said:

Struggling a bit at the moment I need to give up for sure just can't let go from it.im 33 probably been gambling regularly since I was 17/18

Been there, done that so I feel your pain.  although slightly older than you, I started way younger on slots at caravan park holidays...hitting £30 aged 10 was the first step down this road I guess!

Been trying to stop on and off for near on 10 years. Even been made bankrupt in that time with a hefty five-figures. Am coming up for 4 weeks gambling and bet free but it will always be an issue. 

Made changes such as getting a new bank account to block gambling (hopefully mentioning it’s monzo won’t be an issue on here!), gamstop online, self-exclusion from bookies. 

I think the difference I feel this time is that I am truly buying into wanting to stop. it’s like anything in life-diets, gym, other habits...unless you truly want to stop, nothing will change what you do.

Good luck in making the change! All you can do is take it one day at a time if you try to stop. 

Thanks mate for the honesty all the best in the future kicking the habit.im doing ok this week although I've had a few wagers I feel more controlled my next step is to stop completely.

Archived