Betting companies duty of care - Responsible Gaming - Stop and Step

Betting companies duty of care

LiamJ

Saw this today and have got to say, I do respect that the owners of these companies have this kind if compassion. Gambling is a very addictive business for a lot of people, a lot of lives have been ruined and that's a fact. I respect people high up in the biz with attitudes like this, even if it is slightly for publicity (which it will be, but theres still good in it)

15562706332575211620269757629108.jpg

Just to play devil’s advocate here because I’m a very sceptical person....

Anyone remember the Embassy World Snooker Championship or maybe the annual Rothmans Football Almanac? Or maybe Gregor Fisher trying and failing to get his passport photo taken in the Hamlet Cigar adverts? All gone now of course because of the ban on tobacco advertising. 

People use advertising to get ahead of the market. Although all the ban on tobacco advertising did was ensure that none of them could advertise. And if none of them advertise, think of budget savings Benson and Hedges are benefiting from - less expense means a higher bottom line profit.

If GVC weren’t behind Ladbrokes and Coral, maybe they ran bookies that no one had ever heard of (happens a lot when I go to Oddschecker) then I think they’d hold more weight. As such, even if they never advertised for 5 years, everyone here at least would still know who they are. It seems like a ploy to ensure that they’re still at the front of the market and also ensuring that they make savings in the process. After all, the only suggestion they make is to ban advertising. 

Perhaps I should take my tinfoil hat off, although with the less than scrupulous actions regarding FOBTs recently (I thought they were adamant that there were very few problem gamblers - why has it suddenly escalated now the stakes have been cut?), I’m inclined to take everything they proclaim with a pinch of salt.

Regards

Fox Mulder

Just to put my badly worded point into perspective....

I’m a smoker. I think the ban of tobacco advertising has been about for 15 years or so (someone may correct me on that) but I’m still a smoker. If I’m in the pub watching the football, then at halftime I’ll go out the back for a cigarette regardless of whether Ray Winstone comes on TV and tells me to. And, although I can’t speak from experience, I would guess the same would be true for problem gamblers. They want to place a bet even if there’s no advert telling them to.

I just believe that the actions of the bookies would hold more weight if they were investing in problem gamblers rather than seemingly trying to cut their costs right in the aftermath of massive profit warnings after the FOBT regulations came in to play.

I also wonder if GVC are just talking about banning expensive TV adverts or they’ll also remove the point of sale stuff they have in their windows telling me what a £10 bet on a 5-0 Liverpool win would pay...

All advertising is offset in taxes, and sponsorship. If you have a product you need to sell it. All the big bookies collude and manipulate odds. They are dishonest and unfair. 

Am I reading this right?

To help problem gamblers the owners of the UK's largest bookmakers want a ban on all betting ads during sports broadcasts... "Except Horse Racing"

It sounds quite sincere until you reach the punchline 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2019 at 3:31 PM, Seaton-slots said:

Am I reading this right?

To help problem gamblers the owners of the UK's largest bookmakers want a ban on all betting ads during sports broadcasts... "Except Horse Racing"

It sounds quite sincere until you reach the punchline 

Yes the Bookmakers are all heart 

They will be up for an OBE !

Archived