A hard pill to swallow - Football - Stop and Step

A hard pill to swallow

Mentholdan

England played some great football and scored a great goal, Italys goal was a bit scrappy to say the least. Two particular Italian fouls were disgusting and they were lucky not to get two red cards. No hard feelings though as I think the slightly better team on the night won, you certainly couldn't say England were outplayed. 

I looked at the comments on twitter after the game and couldn't believe the dozens of disgusting comments. 

Here are just two, "English men will be battering their wives tonight like the animals they are" and the other one read "Sako, Sanchez and Rashford should all be ashamed of themselves" The real sick people are those that write that sort of stuff. 

It’s been a good tournament for England I didn’t expect Them to get to the final

beating Germany was my highlight 

Never ever been on Facebook or Twitter or Instagram am I missing anything?

what next death threats SAD 

Great tournament but Southgate did mess up last night. 34% possession, 2 shots on target (inc goal) not good enough. Our negative play stifled Italy 1st half (and our forwards for the whole game). Italy changed up 2nd half and Southgate had no answers. Disgraceful to allow 19yo rookie Saka to take 5th pen ahead of Sterling or Stone.

I still have faith in Southgate but he needs to learn quickly for the world cup in the desert 😬

Edited by Stormy

45 minutes ago, DaveM said:

The domestic violence comment is fair. It spikes massively after an English defeat

So you think the comment that "English men will be battering their wives tonight like the animals they are" is fair? What percentage of English men batter their wives and by what percentage does it rise to after an England defeat? Also, how do the figures compare to other nations men battering their wives on a daily basis compared to when their national team loses? Also, where do English men stand in the league table of wife battering? 

The major cause of wife battering in any country is alcohol. In the build up to any major sporting event there are countless adverts on TV, in the press, in the supermarkets of cut price booze, Budweiser were one of the major sponsors of the Euros, you should start by pinning some of the blame on them. 

It spikes something obscene like 40+ percent after an England defeat. People get drunk every weekend so alcohol is a factor constantly but the England football defeats are the trigger. Hiding from that fact or how some people react with 'not all men' doesn't change that.

12 minutes ago, DaveM said:

It spikes something obscene like 40+ percent after an England defeat. People get drunk every weekend so alcohol is a factor constantly but the England football defeats are the trigger. Hiding from that fact or how some people react with 'not all men' doesn't change that.

You can't just say that domestic violence in England increases 40% when the national football team loses, what about other countries, the home nations for example, how much does domestic violence increase when Ireland, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales lose?  Or does domestic violence just stay the same when they lose? Does it drop at all when those countries win? Do you think that all English men should be ashamed of themselves when it occurs. Is it the same when the cricket team or rugby team loses.? When I was researching domestic violence in general, "non football related" it stood at 0.3 % in England and 12% in Ireland, in parts of the USA its at an astronomical 43% and worse in South Africa and the Baltic States. Don't you as an Englishman feel victimised when these vile tweets are tarring you with the same brush as a cruel bully?