Is it coming home? - Football - Stop and Step

Is it coming home?

Mentholdan

Well it's game on this Sunday and with home advantage England have a great chance of becoming champions. If the final was Italy v Germany I think most people would favour the Germans and England sent them packing comfortably in the end. If England do lose on Sunday it will be disappointing but the future of English international football is very much on the up. Come on England. 

That is a 12lb Carp, picture doesnt do it justice. The fish is out of the water just long enough to remove the "barbless" hook, take a piccie and then returned to the lake. 

Let's look at the facts. So far England have played all but one game at home which is a huge advantage. They were also awarded a very soft penalty against Denmark which VAR did Not overturn I hasten to add but England were a lot stronger than the Danes and I'm confidant they would have gone on to win the match regardless of the penalty. 

Pickford had a very poor game, gifting the ball to the Danes with schoolboy errors and kicking the ball out of play a couple of times and giving the Danes possession when trying kick the ball up the field. And he should have comfortably dealt with the free kick which lead to the goal. He was very very poor, he looked nervous and out of his depth. People have been singing the praises of Luke Shaw for his performances but he's a very negative player, passing sideways and back almost all of the time. He needs to start taking on players and move forward much much more. 

I would love to see England win the final but I just don't see it happening. I think they will bottle it and Italy will capitalize on the England errors while they look like rabbits in the headlights. England have hugely talented players more than capable than beating Italy but I don't think they have the belief or the guts for what it takes. 

If England run their hearts out for 90 minutes, take the game to Italy and try to go past players and get forward and don't succumb to the Italians dark arts of dropping like a stone every time someone gets within 2 yards of them, then yes they can win it. 

So for me it will be England defending for long periods of the game, making schoolboy errors and gifting the game to Italy. 

But maybe, just maybe, an early goal, Italy pushing for the equaliser and getting caught on the counter attack?????. 

Some good points @Mentholdan. I think that we have a good chance if Italy play a high line, Sterling will love the balls over the top against their ageing centre backs. Alas, I think they may play a bit deeper.

By the way, did I mention that my great, great grandfather was Italian? He was an alcoholic trapeze artist in the circus, they called him the hi tiddly Iti. 😎

• 2 years later...