Rainbow Jazz - General Discussion - Stop and Step

Rainbow Jazz

Mentholdan

I'll be backing Rainbow Jazz in the 1.15 at Warwick tomorrow, current odds 12-1. I've been told its expected to run well and that's all I can pass on. If it gets beat it gets beat, dont shoot the messenger. 

31 minutes ago, Skippy888 said:

Opened 17.5(16.5:1) last night but I stuck on £5 at 13.13 (12.13:1) on BF just now. 

Curry tomorrow ? 🤑 hope so!

If it doesn't win it will be in the curry. 

58 minutes ago, Lukew1678 said:

anything else you recommend? looking to put a lucky 15 on tomorrow. 

I can barely pick 1 winner let alone 4, although I did put up a winner on Saturday. 😁

19 hours ago, Mentholdan said:

I'll be backing Rainbow Jazz in the 1.15 at Warwick tomorrow, current odds 12-1. I've been told its expected to run well and that's all I can pass on. If it gets beat it gets beat, dont shoot the messenger. 

who gives you these tips my friend, jockey fell off the horse 😂

4 hours ago, Lukew1678 said:

who gives you these tips my friend, jockey fell off the horse 😂

The owner is a friend of mine, he heads a small syndicate. We lost in excess of 5k today. It, was looking like money back and a ok profit until it unseated the rider at the last when he looked sure to finish 3rd. 

Its a shame we lucked out it would have been nice to share a winner. The thing is now I'm dubious of passing on any info for fear of letting people down. 

33 minutes ago, Mentholdan said:

The owner is a friend of mine, he heads a small syndicate. We lost in excess of 5k today. It, was looking like money back and a ok profit until it unseated the rider at the last when he looked sure to finish 3rd. 

Its a shame we lucked out it would have been nice to share a winner. The thing is now I'm dubious of passing on any info for fear of letting people down. 

please don't worry about that, you're not charging money for your tips. keep them coming

I'll tell you a little story. Rainbow Jazz is trained at the famous Loretta Lodge stables in Epsom, "just 5 minutes up the road from me" the stables were built by the late great Brian Swift who named the stables after his wife Loretta. The stables were then bought by an aquaintence of mine called Terry Mills, Terry was a self made millionaire who started out with 1 skip lorry. Terry didn't hold a trainers licence at the time so appointed a friend of mine, Wally Carter to train for him until he could get his trainers licence. I knew wally for some years, as we used to go to the pub together, The Cock, in Headley, every Sunday evening. I had a quarter share in two horses there whilst Wally was training and we had some success and great fun with the two. In all the time I knew Wally I "never asked him for a tip" and I always thought it embarrassing when everyone and his uncle down the pub was asking him for tips. One Sunday evening in the summer of 1989 I turned up at the stables at about 10 to 7 "the pubs opened at 7pm" there was a buzz going on and it was because Wally was running late at evening stables and the lads were itching to get to the pub. I agreed to wait for Wally and we would drive up a little later while the lads went on ahead. So it was just myself and Wally, moving from box to box around the stables and checking on each horse before we went to the pub. We got to one particular box with a horses head sticking out over the gate and Wally was petting him and rubbing the nags muzzle then Wally turned to me and said "this one's running tomorrow, go to the bank and draw out all your money and lump on" oh OK says I, totally shocked by what I just heard, thanks or the info, and as I went to move to the next horsebox Wally grabs my arm, pulls me back and says "and when you've done that, go get some more money and have that on as well" Wow OK I said, I was flabbergasted, I'd never ever asked him for a tip and he never ever mentioned anything about the other horses to me before. 

The horse in question ran in a 5 furlong sprint the next day and won by 10 lengths drawing away at odds of 4-1. How much did I put on? £50 enough money for a bet in 1989 I suppose but I didn't go mad on it and never told a soul. 

Well knowing what I know now .... the donkey business is shall we say about as straight as a very old pipe cleaner. With the poor prize money, horses costing what £1000+ a month to keep/train  ? If you just tell the jockey to go easy for a few races till the odds get out to 20:1  or 25:1 for the next evening race at Kempton then £1000 win will pay your costs for the year and who will give a shit ...it's AW evening racing, no ones cares about your horses 'sudden' improvement.

Archived