Had a brush with fame? - Off Topic - Stop and Step

Had a brush with fame?

BlindHaze

Ten years ago or so, I decided to go to an exhibition darts night at a local pub where you had the chance to play the late (and great) Eric Bristow.  It was only £10 to go and with the amount of people that were there, it was probable that you'd give him a leg of 701.  I'm awful at darts but managed to give him a game (my first dart was 1 but somehow managed to score 121 with my first throw!) and lost by a respectable 110 points or so.  

Now that may sound pretty impressive, but this was at about 21:30 and Eric had been there since about midday drinking Guinness and could barely stand, in fact he'd stop mid game just to go outside for a cigarette.  After the event, I asked him whether I could get a photo with him, to which his slightly inebriated response was "f**k off, I'm going for a slash.  Maybe later."

So that's my tale of fame.  Being told to f**k off by one the the legends of darts.  

Anyone got a better story?  Maybe Michael Barrymore has called you a tw*t or Paul McCartney has offered you out for a fight?

I got fired on a daily basis working with Jim Davidson during Panto season... even though he had no power or ability to do so.. but it was thanks to working with him that I met John Virgo, Victor Spinnetti, Keith Emmerson and Greg Lake :) Oh! That and we had an interesting show when someone decided to bake some special brownies.... I didn't know that a 2 hour panto could last 4 hours :D :D

Working in a Video exchange shop in London in the 80's I followed a group of lads around the shop convinced they were up to no good.

They kept picking titles up and carrying them around, then changing their minds and picking others up and certainly didn't look like video shop owners (this was a trade exchange outlet)

Anyway I followed them all the way to the checkout half expecting them to do a runner when all of a sudden loads of gold amex cards were being drawn from pockets to pay for all the videos they had picked up... Found out later I was mistaking the group Duran Duran for shoplifters.

On 4/12/2019 at 2:52 PM, Seaton-slots said:

Working in a Video exchange shop in London in the 80's I followed a group of lads around the shop convinced they were up to no good.

They kept picking titles up and carrying them around, then changing their minds and picking others up and certainly didn't look like video shop owners (this was a trade exchange outlet)

Anyway I followed them all the way to the checkout half expecting them to do a runner when all of a sudden loads of gold amex cards were being drawn from pockets to pay for all the videos they had picked up... Found out later I was mistaking the group Duran Duran for shoplifters.

would this be on PLANET EARTH maybe they had CARELESS MEMORIES and didn't care, THE CHAUFFER collected them and they  returned to RIO. 

Yes sad to say I met Duran Duran back in nov 1982 world tour at Newcastle upon tyne  city hall, the bus parked around the corner and they all got out how plain they looked as well, not dressed up or makeup on. was a bit of a shock really. but I got over it lol.The next night they were on tv "The Tube".       

Working and living in Mallorca I met loads of famous people, they seem to let their guard down outside the UK. 

Sting, Joan Collins, Mike Oldfield, Agnetha from ABBA, Isabella Rosselini "the most beautiful woman I've ever met" Michael Owen, Bonnie Tyler, John Noakes, Jamie and Louise Redknap, "she was by far the nicest person, said help yourself to tea and biscuits or make yourself a sandwich, really pleasant" and quite a few more, but the most interesting person I ever met was Enoch Powell, while I was on the tube here in London. The nastiest was Sting, my mate told him to F*** off. I once sat down at a little cafe, Sylvesters, in a place called Portals Nous in Mallorca, it took moment or two to realise I was sat at the same table as Jimmy White. 

Another of my pals was outside his villa in Mallorca sweeping up leaves, a black limo with tinted windows pulled up, the driver lowered his window and asked my mate "in Spanish" if he knew where Samantha's restaurant was. Because my mate was fluent in Spanish "but with an English accent" he duly obliged the driver. As the limo pulled away the rear window came down and a man speaking English with a Spanish accent called out and waved saying, "thank you very much" it was Juan Carlos the King of Spain. 

I just remembered an unusual one that happened about 12 years or so ago now, maybe longer, your memory lapses as you get older lol. I was sitting outside a small bar where I lived in a place called Santa Ponsa in Mallorca. The bar was called the Rising Sun. Anyway, I was having a coffee with Alan Hudson, ex Chelsea and England player, a bit of a lad in his time but a brilliant player and really nice guy. While we were chatting away, you couldn't make it up, the then Mallorca manager Hector Cuper came strolling by. I'm a very forward person so I called out to him and asked if we could take a photo. 

Myself, Alan and Hector Cuper, great fun, he chatted away no problem, I introduced him to Alan and he noticed Alan's European Cup winners medal I think it was, which he ALWAYS wore on a chain round his neck, it wasn't that big, like a medallion, nothing blingy. Anyway, may not sound like much I suppose but it's a fond memory for me, they were good times back then, before I lost my parents and younger sister. The good old days 😁

Archived