Why do bookmakers treat customers like cnuts? - Bookies Slots and Roulette - Stop and Step

Why do bookmakers treat customers like cnuts?

Stormy

My local bookmakers is a lovely place and the staff are friendly and east to deal with.

About four years ago I asked the manager if it was ok to video an occasional big win on the fobt and was told "no problem with that as long as you don't video other customers". I don't record much, nowadays but sometimes like to put a decent win up on my you-tube channel. Today I was videoing and one of the operatives came over and told me "you have been told not video in here before" (not true) and asked me to stop. I stopped of course but did point out I had previously been told it was ok and was promptly told I was lying and it was against company policy to video fobt wins. Iknow I should probably chill but that did irritate me.

I know there is more important stuff going on in the world...

36 minutes ago, Stormy said:

My local bookmakers is a lovely place and the staff are friendly and east to deal with.

About four years ago I asked the manager if it was ok to video an occasional big win on the fobt and was told "no problem with that as long as you don't video other customers". I don't record much, nowadays but sometimes like to put a decent win up on my you-tube channel. Today I was videoing and one of the operatives came over and told me "you have been told not video in here before" (not true) and asked me to stop. I stopped of course but did point out I had previously been told it was ok and was promptly told I was lying and it was against company policy to video fobt wins. Iknow I should probably chill but that did irritate me.

You spelt cunt wrong btw. 😂😂

I really can’t see what the problem is, if you don’t want to be seen in the bookies then you shouldn’t be in there in the first place. What about all those dickheads on itv racing standing behind Matt Chapman, pulling faces and looking like the total knobheads and barnpots that they are. They’re not exactly hiding their notoriety. If anyone called me a liar I’d give em a swift kick up the crutch.

1 hour ago, Stormy said:

Dont matter what else is going on in the world life goes on and if you need to get it off your chest then do so.  

You can buy glasses (shades) now what can film. If they say anything just say i identify myself as sunglasses. 

Edited by Skipper

True, it's just depressing to realise just what bookmakers really think about their customers, by their actions. The staff are actually a nice bunch and if I'm being charitable just need to be trained to avoid confrontation better. A simple "please don't video in my shop," would have sufficed, it was no big deal to me. I need to go the places S&S goes, they make him sandwiches and buy him coffee. 😎

10 hours ago, Mentholdan said:

if you don’t want to be seen in the bookies then you shouldn’t be in there in the first place.

No, that's not a fair thing to suggest.

I don't want my family potnetially seeing me in the bookies (whether they spot it online, or in any other way), but I don't see why I shouldn't be able to play the machines nonetheless.

What I do is none of anyone elses business.

The rules regarding videoing are quite straightforward. Anybody is legally allowed to film anything that can be seem from a public place where members of the public are allowed. When in a privately owned building one has to obey the rules of the management/staff/guards when inside it and they can ask you to leave under common law tresspass if they so wish.

The problem with bookmakers is most of them don't have clear rules regarding videoing in their shops. Over the years I always ask the first time I go into a new bookmakers and ask if it is ok to video any decent wins I get on an fobt. Most say its fine, as long as no customers are filmed, occasionally some say no. In this case I asked the shop manager some years ago who said he had no problem. I even emailed GVC to try and obtain a policy, they told me there was no policy but the local shop staff had the final say. Maybe things have changed since GVC sold to Entain.

What I was irritated by was being told by an operative I had previously been told not to video in the shop,  when in fact the opposite was true. I treat staff with respect and feel they should do the same with customers; just not handled properly.

I fully understand that some customers do not want their family seeing them in the bookmakers. Below is an example of a video I have made in the past. I would never post a bookmakers video where a person is visible (which is not really possible as the FOBT fills the screen like in an S&S video). Occasionally a voice might be picked up by the microphone, if somebody is speaking loudly over the sounds an FOBT.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/fWfR8pPIZ94

• Like 1

I think the staff usually take the easier option and that is to outright say no. I don’t blame them for doing this, I know how irate some people get in the bookies when they’ve lost a fortune. If you add someone filming into the mix, then it’s a potentially explosive situation. 

99% of the time, it’ll probably be fine, there’s no issue with someone recording a decent hit they have on a FOBT. Although all that needs to happen is they turn the camera 90 degrees and then all hell can break loose….

I was actually watching some one play roulette before the changes she didnt like it one bit. She turned round and shouted. You can stop gorping blah blah at me. I just smiled and continued to watch. lol 

Edited by Skipper

• 1 year later...