At This Time of Year…. - Horse Racing - Stop and Step

At This Time of Year….

TheKingInTheNorth

Cheltenham is just around the corner and I thought I’d share what will hopefully be seen as a word to the wise….

I’ve started to see ads on YouTube and such places with guys extolling how easy it is to ‘beat the bookie’

These guys will be promoting trading, place betting that can’t lose by laying it off on the exchange and all other manner of get rich quick schemes….

Whilst it’s possible to do all of the above it’s no road to riches scheme…. It’s difficult and the margins are wafer thin… we’re talking a few pennies in the pound at best….

Why do these guys want you involved? Simples, they want your money sloshing around the exchange markets so that they can gobble it up!

they’re not your mate trying to help you, they want you to get drawn in out of your depth so again they can cream your money.

Why do they win big? Simple, they are able to throw large sums at these markets, Thousands in bets and suddenly making 5% on a race looks fantastic…. You put £5 in you make 25p… They throw around £5000 and they make £250!!!!

They want your money to help them make theirs….

I live by a rule that if I had discovered a fool proof way to make £££££ gambling then I wouldn’t tell another living soul….

So ask this next time you see these snake oil artists telling you they will let you in on a secret to win all the time….

Is he your mate trying to give you a leg up? Or is he the guy who’ll be in the shadows trying to empty your pockets once you put your money in?

1 minute ago, Mentholdan said:

Isn't this how Tony Bloom makes money? I think I've heard he has an army of staff to lay huge sums and make small margin returns on hundreds of K stakes. 

Yup, more or less mate. 

im not saying it can’t be done because it can but some of these guys are aiming at ordinary punters with a few hundred or even a few thousand quid in their pocket… you just end up getting gobbled up by the 🦈 

• 8 months later...

My mate Craig is to take charge of a brand new stable in Epsom. I say brand new but in reality it’s Clive Bedstead's old yard that’s been completely refurbished with stabling for 42 horses and a brand new 3 bedroom house.

Craig was a jockey in South Africa and then trainer there before moving to Hong Kong to train.

The new set up is initially for retired racehorses  from Hong and Macau to be stabled before being moved on for perhaps a different career but Craig has not ruled out renewing his trainers licence as the stables are plenty big enough. Yours truly has been hinted at as being the yard maintenance man, which will suit me as I’m 66 in April and up for retirement and the stables are next to the racecourse which is just ten minutes from my appointment.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mentholdan said:

My mate Craig is to take charge of a brand new stable in Epsom. I say brand new but in reality it’s Clive Bedstead's old yard that’s been completely refurbished with stabling for 42 horses and a brand new 3 bedroom house.

Craig was a jockey in South Africa and then trainer there before moving to Hong Kong to train.

The new set up is initially for retired racehorses  from Hong and Macau to be stabled before being moved on for perhaps a different career but Craig has not ruled out renewing his trainers licence as the stables are plenty big enough. Yours truly has been hinted at as being the yard maintenance man, which will suit me as I’m 66 in April and up for retirement and the stables are next to the racecourse which is just ten minutes from my appointment.

If your job is in an area that you’re passionate and knowledgeable about, you’re on to a winner. Work seems much less of a chore if you can find somewhere like that. Good luck MD! 🙂