Racehorse ownership - General Discussion - Stop and Step

Racehorse ownership

Mentholdan

My niece is about to give birth to her third child on the eve of her birthday so I've bought her a share in a racehorse as a present to have a bit of fun with. It was very cheap £65 for 1X 4000th share. It comes with a presentation pack, photos, certificate, stable visits and updates. I was trying to ce up with something different and she likes the occasional bet and flutter on the slots. Anyway I'm digressing, just wondering if anyone else here has or had shares in horses and if so let me know how it's going/went. Thanks. 

That sounds like a really good gift. I've never even thought about a shared ownership of a horse, I go to races every now and then but that's about it. The horse is worth £260,000 and any prize money you get 1/4000 of it?

I’ve never owned anything like that, but my cousin owned half a greyhound about 25-30 years ago. I used to follow its performance at Romford, Walthamstow etc on Teletext.

19 minutes ago, StopandStep said:

That sounds like a really good gift. I've never even thought about a shared ownership of a horse, I go to races every now and then but that's about it. The horse is worth £260,000 and any prize money you get 1/4000 of it?

The horse isn't worth that much because training fees, feed, vets, transport, jockey fees, entry fees etc. etc. are all included. I've no idea how much monthly training fees are now, when I owned horses outright it was £400 per month per horse, but that was in the late 80s, I suppose it could be in the region of £1500 - £2000 per month now. 

The main reason I bought this present for her is because her husbands boss has shares in horses and he loves to tell everyone, so I thought it would be quite funny if he went to work and told his boss that his wife also owns a racehorse, or part of it. 😁😁

BTW the ownership lasts for about 14 months in this particular case, renewable if desired. The horse I bought her a share in is called Emporium Flame, never raced yet but I'll post if and when it's due to run. Its just a bit of fun for the price of a decent meal for two in a restaurant, if you can remember what that was like? 😁

Archived