Scratchcards - General Discussion - Stop and Step

Scratchcards

Mentholdan

I went in a "corner Shop" to cash a £10 win on a scratchcard. The guy paid me my tenner and asked if I was going to buy something. I replied no and that I just wanted to collect the win. He shook his head saying I shouldn't have collected it and not spent something. I told him that I didn't realise the criteria that when you win on a scratchcard that you had to spend the winnings in the shop that you cashed it in. I also told him that if he resented paying out winners he might want to consider stopping selling them and taking his commission. Yesterday when in the High Street I was in another of these "corner shops" to buy a face mask, I had £100 in £20 notes in my wallet and a £4 winning scratchcard, so I gave him the card and said I'd like to pay for the mask with the winning card. He told me he couldn't cash it because he didn't have enough change in the till. You don't have £3 in your till I asked, "the mask was £1" he then ranted on about how much it cost him when people pay using their plastic. "What's that got to do with me winning on a scratchcard?" I asked. So anyway I said no worries, just give me the scratchcard back and I'll collect it elsewhere. He returned the card and I handed him a £20 note and he gave me my £19 change. I once saw him coming out of Morrisons with his son pushing 2 trolleys full of sliced bread heading straight into his own shop, money grabbing bastard. 

I think it's immoral Dave and think of all those old dears with their tartan shopping trolleys getting there only to find the 50p loaves have sold out but the greedy bugger over the road is selling them for £1.29. Another thing that gets my goat with the corner shop is when they offer the Western Union money transfer service. Go in to send money and its never a problem, go in to collect money and all you ever get is "sorry but the service is down". People don't seem to be helpful these days and go out of their way to be downright nasty. Last week in Morris ons I got into the lift followed by an old boy probably in his 70s, a third guy who looked about 40 ish came in and the o'd boy said to him "excuse me mate, only 2 people allowed in the lift at the moment and pointed to the sign in the lift. The guy just ignored him. The old boy told him again but again the guy just ignored him. So the old boy who came in with me said Well I suppose I'll just have to get out, and he left. As the lift was going up I said to the ignorant guy, How could you treat that old boy like that and be so rude? His reply to me, "Why don't you fuck off and mind your own buisness" I won't go in to what happened next but I'll just say I think it was totally justified. The guy was a cunt pure and simple. I lnow that's bad language for a forum but  I can't describe it any other way. You cannot just turn a blind eye to those situations and that poor old man didn't deserve it. I always say just walk away in those situations but where can you walk away to in a 6X6 elevator? 

You know the answer @Mentholdanit doesn’t need me to tell you that youngsters today have no respect for anything 

my misses watches police interceptors on the telly all young men between 16-40 who don’t give a shit about anyone or anything police spending hours arresting people only for judges to let them off 

if I see any trouble I just stay out the way not worth getting stabbed 

my old man was in the police force for 30 years and he advised me not to join 

NATIONAL SERVICE ANYONE ?

Corner shop owners are tiny businesses without the purchase power of supermarkets

Really can't be less immoral than Tesco screwing the life out of suppliers for a big contract then selling a product cheaper in their retail stores than they do in their wholesale stores! Or selling a 48 box on Mars/ Snickers for £25 in their cash and carry warehouses then flogging 4 bars for £1 in the supermarket and doing a deal with the manufacturer to ensure 'multipack not for individual re-sale is on them'.

Supermarkets strangling the life out of tiny individual one man band corners stores are far more abusive and immoral. If their business methods were more fair corner shops owners would not have to resort to that sort of behaviour. Furthermore, if that is what corner store owners are doing the supermarket should be ordering more stock to meet the demand for the little old ladies left without. From my experience it really isn't a problem anyway. 8pm in a supermarket they're flogging loafs for 10 and 20 pence that are best before dated that day so they can't routinely be selling out of bread entirely including future dated ones!

Archived