Lazing around for a while - Off Topic - Stop and Step

Lazing around for a while

BlindHaze

Ms Haze and I spent a couple of hours in the pub last Saturday night, watched a bit of the football, played a couple of frames of pool and had 3 or 4 beers. We left about 9pm and made the short 10 minute walk home.

Everything was good, until I felt a twinge in my back. By 9:30pm, I could barely move. I had sat down on the couch and couldn’t get back up without a great deal of pain. Managed to get to bed and hoped it would be better in the morning. Unfortunately not, and the paracetamol and ibuprofen I’d taken had barely touched it. 

Cutting to the chase, many phone calls, one video appointment and one visit to the GP later, I’m now on naproxen, co-codamol, trimethoprim, omeprazole and amitriptyline. I was on diazepam too, but the GP told me to stop taking that one.

So I’m now signed off from work until the 21st December. I had that week booked off anyway, so it looks like I’m off until the new year. 

I’m spending most of my time in bed, but I can now get up and about a lot easier. Standing too long is uncomfortable and sitting down is impossible. To alleviate the boredom earlier this week, I probably spent about 2-3 hours one day playing slots on PP. A bad idea in itself, but even worse when you’re drugged up…. PP sent me a responsible gambling email saying ‘we’ve noticed a bit of a change in the way you play and wanted to get in touch to make sure everything’s ok’. They’re probably right, so now I’m passing the time on my Nintendo Switch. 

10 hours ago, BlindHaze said:

Ms Haze and I spent a couple of hours in the pub last Saturday night, watched a bit of the football, played a couple of frames of pool and had 3 or 4 beers. We left about 9pm and made the short 10 minute walk home.

Everything was good, until I felt a twinge in my back. By 9:30pm, I could barely move. I had sat down on the couch and couldn’t get back up without a great deal of pain. Managed to get to bed and hoped it would be better in the morning. Unfortunately not, and the paracetamol and ibuprofen I’d taken had barely touched it. 

Cutting to the chase, many phone calls, one video appointment and one visit to the GP later, I’m now on naproxen, co-codamol, trimethoprim, omeprazole and amitriptyline. I was on diazepam too, but the GP told me to stop taking that one.

So I’m now signed off from work until the 21st December. I had that week booked off anyway, so it looks like I’m off until the new year. 

I’m spending most of my time in bed, but I can now get up and about a lot easier. Standing too long is uncomfortable and sitting down is impossible. To alleviate the boredom earlier this week, I probably spent about 2-3 hours one day playing slots on PP. A bad idea in itself, but even worse when you’re drugged up…. PP sent me a responsible gambling email saying ‘we’ve noticed a bit of a change in the way you play and wanted to get in touch to make sure everything’s ok’. They’re probably right, so now I’m passing the time on my Nintendo Switch. 

I got run over by a car when I was a kid “explains a lot” 😂 all I got was an “Etch a Sketch “

I had a similar back problem when I was in my 20s. A few weeks on crutches, visits to the chiropractor and about 6 weeks for full recovery. Fingers crossed mate.

15 hours ago, Mentholdan said:

I got run over by a car when I was a kid “explains a lot” 😂 all I got was an “Etch a Sketch “

I had a similar back problem when I was in my 20s. A few weeks on crutches, visits to the chiropractor and about 6 weeks for full recovery. Fingers crossed mate.

Thanks MD, to quote the black knight, ‘tis but a scratch’ compared to your experience!

The painkillers are kicking in and I’m a bit more mobile now, but that only really masks the problem. Poor Ms Haze had to carry the Christmas tree back from Lidl on her own…. 😖