Gambling watchdog plans to ban online credit card bets - General Discussion - Stop and Step

Gambling watchdog plans to ban online credit card bets

ghost22

The gambling watchdog may ban punters from making online bets with credit card funds. Photograph: Alamy

The gambling industry watchdog is preparing to ban bookmakers from taking credit card deposits for betting online, in the latest move to prevent the exploitation of vulnerable customers.

The Gambling Commission is expected to announce the long-awaited ban on credit card wagers, with the rules due to be unveiled as soon as Tuesday. Well-placed sources said an announcement by the regulator was imminent. It comes two years after charity groups such as GambleAware and Citizens Advice urged the government to implement the policy to protect people from sliding into gambling addiction.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jan/12/gambling-watchdog-plans-ban-online-credit-card-bets

The end is nigh  boys,   how many on here would use a card for a nifty deposit ?

In 20 years of gambling I think I've used credit card to deposit once. And only because I was drunk and chasing. Wouldn't bother me at all.

I'm 62 years old, almost 63 and I've never held a credit card in my life. I was brought up by my dad and he liked a bet but he drummed it in to me from an early age, never ever spend money you don't have and borrowing money to gamble is the biggest no no of them all. He said if you work hard for your money its yours to do as you please with and nobody else's business. I also told him one morning that I didn't want to go into work that day and he said son, don't ever do anything in this world that you don't want to do, but don't come to me for a sub at the weekend. I got dressed and went to work. The facts of life were oh so simple in those days and I don't see why they should be any different nowadays. 

I wonder if the ban would have an effect on the ability to use a credit card to fund an e-wallet such as Skrill, and then use those funds to deposit into the site.

The only country that I’m aware of that has a ban on using cards for online gambling is Norway. And that’s for ALL cards - both credit and debit. However, e-wallets are still available and cards can be used there, making e-wallets a reliable intermediary for players.

It is refreshing to know that many of you guys are not attracted to the idea of acquiring credit card debt. I wonder if that is representative of all the UK, or if us forum members are just an outlier. It’s the complete opposite in America. Everyone has credit card debt it seems. My bank occasionally mails me offers to sign up for one, which I’ve been refusing.

According to usdebtclock.org, total credit card debt in the US is $1.1 trillion - about $6,700 per cardholder. 

I used a CC in the early days of online poker but they started blocking withdrawals so you needed an e wallet account and had to get your bank account verified, then the site wanted you to withdraw back to the original card. I am sure much of it was done so players could gamble large amounts on credit quickly and they didn't have to payout the winners very easily, all the time earning a lot of interest on the money. Much easier to use debit card now, if anyone messes you about with that then the site isn't legit, plus the money is very real so if I spend that I won't have any petrol to get to work or food when I get home.

Archived