Jump to content
Ferg

Tips on Avoiding the Fobts

Recommended Posts

Hey guys.

So slight background I've lost quite a lot online about 2 years ago.managed to join gamstop about 1 year ago and don't use it anymore as I cant mainly because I'm monitored by the wife!!

I've an issue with fobts I'm a low staker but don't win very often.i love my footy bets and do them couple times a week but I find myself getting drawn to the fobts. Sometimes I lose all my money on the fobts and don't even have enough to put the footy bet on!!il add my budget is quite restricted but I get so angry after I do it.

I wish there was a fobt self excluding tool only!!anyone else have this issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Self-exclude from the bookies and either quit the footy bets or ask someone to put them on for you?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you walk into the bookies to put your footy bets on get a mental picture in your head of your wife and family, nothing in the world is worth jeopardising them for. You say your wife moniters your spending, that's no way to be in a marriage, she should be able to trust you implicitly. Have you explained any of this and your problem to her? Good luck my friend. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Seaton-slots said:

open an online bookmakers only account

Cant bet online anymore mate thanks for the suggestion tho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Mentholdan said:

When you walk into the bookies to put your footy bets on get a mental picture in your head of your wife and family, nothing in the world is worth jeopardising them for. You say your wife moniters your spending, that's no way to be in a marriage, she should be able to trust you implicitly. Have you explained any of this and your problem to her? Good luck my friend. 

Unfortunately the trust is gone mate gambled too many times.problem is she hates it and I love it lol.ive made lots of mistakes but I'm at a stage now where I can control my spend a bit but fobts don't help.im not ready to give up the accas yet.where I live I'm quite new to so don't really have any proper mates bar work colleagues so I look forward to my Saturday over 2.5 goals. This is all behind the wife's back which is and has been the issue.perhaps my next trip to the bookies will just take enough cash to put the footy on and avoid having any extra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have a local bookies and the staff are friendly, you could always have a quiet word. When I worked in ladbrokes, we had a few regulars who would get sucked in to playing when they didnt want to. One fella was a real old timer, proper nice chap and had bet his couple of quid on the horses for decades. But when the machines came out he started to struggle and would always ask us to look out for him. Mind you if it was a 7ft fella who was built like a brick shithouse, I probably wouldn't have been so willing

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers pal could possibly work thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ferg said:

Unfortunately the trust is gone mate gambled too many times.problem is she hates it and I love it lol.ive made lots of mistakes but I'm at a stage now where I can control my spend a bit but fobts don't help.im not ready to give up the accas yet.where I live I'm quite new to so don't really have any proper mates bar work colleagues so I look forward to my Saturday over 2.5 goals. This is all behind the wife's back which is and has been the issue.perhaps my next trip to the bookies will just take enough cash to put the footy on and avoid having any extra

And there you have found the solution yourself.

If your football bet is £10, take £10 and nothing more, no bank cards, no nothing, enough and only enough to place the bet. If you spunk the bet on slots so be it but you can’t lose anymore at that point in time.

Secret gambling is never good my friend. If your wife doesn’t trust you and doesn’t want you gambling and you’re doing it behind her back when she finds out or confronts you the consequences could be very bad for your relationship.

would your wife allow you the football bet of a Saturday as your “entertainment” if you were up front about it and didn’t get in anything else?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not make silly bets with your wife about the results of football matches, such as if Lincoln win 3- nil I will wash up. That way its a fun thing and not costing money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SkegVegasbaby! said:

Why not make silly bets with your wife about the results of football matches, such as if Lincoln win 3- nil I will wash up. That way its a fun thing and not costing money.

Fuck me, she'll be washing up for the rest of the season 😁😁😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking of silly results I asked the wife to put this correct score on at the bookies 

east fife 5 Forfar 4 

she wasn’t impressed 😢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheKingInTheNorth said:

And there you have found the solution yourself.

If your football bet is £10, take £10 and nothing more, no bank cards, no nothing, enough and only enough to place the bet. If you spunk the bet on slots so be it but you can’t lose anymore at that point in time.

Secret gambling is never good my friend. If your wife doesn’t trust you and doesn’t want you gambling and you’re doing it behind her back when she finds out or confronts you the consequences could be very bad for your relationship.

would your wife allow you the football bet of a Saturday as your “entertainment” if you were up front about it and didn’t get in anything else?

Yep I think I got to go down that route mate popped in this morning to do £10 on the rugby but spanked the other £15 on fobts(dofg &snow leopard).plan was to go back later to do a efl bet but no I'm skint.think il have to pack it in.have broached the subject with the wife about Saturday footy only but no use mate.Time to try and give it up altogether but I know il struggle on weekends I love my footy accas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ferg said:

Yep I think I got to go down that route mate popped in this morning to do £10 on the rugby but spanked the other £15 on fobts(dofg &snow leopard).plan was to go back later to do a efl bet but no I'm skint.think il have to pack it in.have broached the subject with the wife about Saturday footy only but no use mate.Time to try and give it up altogether but I know il struggle on weekends I love my footy accas

Hmmmm it’s difficult, I play way too much FOBT and I’m probably on the verge of chucking them despite dropping a JP at lunchtime there as they’re starting to annoy and frustrate me.

My situation is not dissimilar to you in that my other half despises the machines as they have wreaked havoc in our life’s before but she doesn’t mind if I have a “reasonable” punt on football or horse racing (our definition of “reasonable” differs wildly though 😂)......

Its all relative, if your going down the bookies with your last £25 and doing it in then that’s not reasonable if you think about it? In fact putting £10 on is probably unreasonable at that point as well as that’s  40% of your money. Can you afford to lose 40% of what you have?

What is reasonable to you is probably very different to what is reasonable to me but to make a generalisation, If you had £300 per week income and your household bills and living costs take up £150 per week that leaves £150 at that point I would think that £30 or 20% of your “disposable” income per week would be reasonable for you to spend as you please on “entertainment”.

Thats of corse if you can manage to do that without spending more or even worse eating into your essential living costs. If this is what you find happening then it’s time to give it a miss at least for a while as this indicates problem gambling to me. Spending the rent on gambling is the road to ruin (I’m not saying you do, just generalising to make my point).

wish you all the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2019 at 2:25 PM, StopandStep said:

Self-exclude from the bookies and either quit the footy bets or ask someone to put them on for you?

Doesn’t work... The staff don’t check who’s self excluded, they just file then and then ignore them.

Its a shame as it should help.

The only shops likely to notice are the ones you frequent before self excluding but the shop a few miles down the road won’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...