Money laundering of £1 coins. - General Discussion - Stop and Step

Money laundering of £1 coins.

Mentholdan

A few years back I used to collect and scrap cars for people. It wasn't uncommon to have an old banger on my drive. One particular old Ford fiesta was sitting there for a few months and my partner kept on nagging me to get rid of it as it was an eyesore, I relented but it had four very good tyres on it so I jacked it up and took the wheels off. The spare in the boot looked unused so I thought great I'll whip that out too. When I took it out there were two biscuit tins hidden underneath and when I opened them they were full of pound coins, almost £3.5k in total. I never told the missus, I just hid them in the shed and everyday I'd take about £100 of them and feed them in the FOBT and print the ticket. You can't begin to imagine how difficult that can be, I had to go to a different shop in a different location every day and dropping 100 coins in a machine quietly isn't exactly easy. One little shop was my favourite because it was just one guy and when the shop had just one or two punters in he would ask if anyone wanted a bet in an upcoming race because he used to stand outside and have a smoke, as soon as he was outside the shop I'd shovel them in like nobody's business.

Self service tills are great for getting rid of change

And banks will change around 5 bags a day so if you have a couple of nearby branches you could get rid of £200 a day and if you go twice in a week it's 400 gone easy.

I had no idea where the money came from and didn't want to know, as far as I was concerned it was my good fortune and someone else's hard luck. It could have been something simple as someone saving their pound coins over a few years and it could just as easily have been a stash that someone had robbed from a clubs fruit machines or something like that. I often wondered if the person who put it there had died or forgot or even a thief who hid it there and then got banged up for some other crime. I used to get up to £100 for a scrap car as long as I had the "log book" if I ever saw a car that was dirty or had flat tyres that looked like it hadn't been moved for ages I just put one of my cards under the wipers and hope to get a call back. I did so many I honestly can't remember where I got it. You'd be amazed at some of the cars people asked me to take away, BMWs, Mercedes, Jaguars, only needed a valet, nothing wrong with them, nothing worth more than £1500 or £2k but neverthess some really nice cars. 

BTW when I won the 2k from Paddy Power a couple of weeks ago I went to the bank and withdrew the lot, I had to sign a form to withdraw it. Being self employed it all has to be accounted for, easy to explain but not so easy to be believed. I used to be VAT registered and was investigated once, Customs and Excise came to my office and removed all the drawers from the filing cabinets. I was honest and had an accountant so no problems that time. 

Forgot to mention that when I withdrew the £2k from my bank, apart from signing for it I had to produce my driving licence which they photocopied. This is the bank I visit at least 3 times a week and I'm on first name terms with all the staff. They said its a formality nowadays. News to me. 

Archived