Naughty Gambling Companies exposed - General Discussion - Stop and Step

Naughty Gambling Companies exposed

Seaton-slots

I see gambling compnies are in the news again with a BBC report on the villans tonight and a pre-blasting on the site today at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49284169 .

Jackpot Joy seems to be the villan in the report but no doubt others will be mentioned in the Panorama programme tonight. I the one thing I can safely bet on is that the content will be discussed here so tune in to BBC1 8.30 straight after Eastenders and bring your views to the table tomorrow.

What a sad story losing all that money

personally a friend of mine who played with jackpot joy had her account closed down by them for “ not depositing enough money “

not sure I believe it though 

I read that the story the other day and was a little torn. If a gambler wants to gamble, then they will. By whatever means. You could argue that the bookies have taken advantage of them, but you could also argue that pubs take advantage of alcoholics.

I will say that some of the sites try to lure you in with often incomprehensible bonuses, and gambling adverts are everywhere. 

I said before and will say it again, if a bookies or online site can show they’ve been diligent and someone’s intentionally tried to bypass their controls, then the punter’s to blame. If it’s the other way round (which the highlighted story suggests) then the website’s to blame.

1 hour ago, Stepandstop said:

It was a really eye opener that program I’m just annoyed LADBROKES don’t treat me like a VIP I spend £20 a week 😂

I was disappointed when I went to Betfred in Basildon after work and stuck a tenner in to play Eye Of Horus on 20p play. Got the feature and a retrigger and still ended up with a fiver!

I used to play £2 stakes, so it’s often a relief that my £10 loss wasn’t £100 though. Even on 20p stakes, your money can go quickly. That’s why I prefer 10p plays on retro machines on the seafront. I actually get to nudge (remember those?) and play a feature rather than have it play itself! I still generally lose, but it’s a lot more fun for me 🙂

I thought last nights programme was a typical piece of BBC bias reporting. They seemed to base the programme on 2 historic and extreme stories which portrayed the betting companies as jaw droppingly callas yet goes on to say all the "bad" things they did to retain a good customer would apparently not happen now under revisions that have been made by the regulator over time.

Now please do not think I am defending the gambling companies I am just feeling the report was not balanced in the least and had a lot of unexplained holes in it. For instance... Matey boy Tony went to Dubai and stole 3 million to gamble away and ends up in what looked very much like a UK court to receive a suspended sentence... If he stole 3M in Dubai surely he would have been put on trial there?... And if he did face UK justice a "Suspended Sentence for stealing 3 Million! I'm in the wrong business.

We were told 0.7% of gamblers had a problem and given a figure of 430,000 in the country... We were then told their were 24 million gamblers in the country well 0.7% of 24M makes 168,000 problem gamblers. A big number but much less than the 430,000 also quoted.

In my humble view if they can't get the basics right it calls into question the integrity of the whole programme and that nullifies any positive impact it could have had to bring forward further change.

I have every sympathy with problem gamblers and I realise there but for the grace of god go I. I think I have demonstrated this in many past posts most recently in the 50K subscribers thread when I suggested making a fun video of when gambling goes wrong and making a donation of x pence a view to Gamcare or someone like that... it just gives a little balance.

Rant over, soapbox returned to the garage    

15 minutes ago, Seaton-slots said:

We were told 0.7% of gamblers had a problem and given a figure of 430,000 in the country... We were then told their were 24 million gamblers in the country well 0.7% of 24M makes 168,000 problem gamblers. A big number but much less than the 430,000 also quoted.

it is 0.7% of the population not of gamblers!  The gambling commission likes to state that 24 million people gamble in the uk, but that includes the once a year national betters etc. The reality is that regular gamblers are probably a third of that figure, so say 8 million (2.1 million players online). So the problem of people effected is in % terms huge!

In my view bookies online and high street have made a killing off vulnerable people for a while. I mean that old girl who was made bankrupt, you could tell from the calls that clearly there was something up and for jack pot joy, just to say; "ah well she was aware of the responsible gambling tools." Is just bollocks. They where ringing her encouraging her to go back to the tables. 

You're right they did pick two of the extreme stories, but they had the guy from the gambling commission to try to add some balance.

You are right about his sentence and I get what you're saying people should be free to bet online, but I think the govt does need to do more to tackle things like bonus baiting (and trapping) punters as well as the constant tv advertising. Even looking at the stakes, who wants to do £200 a spin on a slot (we aren't talking about a bonus buy, or roulette where its understand  just a random shit slot), the only person who is going to be doing that is someone who has stolen £3million from somewhere. 

I'm sure there are syndicates who would play £200 a spin. It's not the amount you can spin it's the way they lure you in. I bet your average Joe who signs up for a bit of fun after seeing the adverts hasnt got a clue about wagering. 

2 hours ago, Mentholdan said:

I'm sure there are syndicates who would play £200 a spin. It's not the amount you can spin it's the way they lure you in. I bet your average Joe who signs up for a bit of fun after seeing the adverts hasnt got a clue about wagering. 

I hope 365 don't have a £200 stake as syndicates are against their "third party rules." At least according to their court papers to try and not pay that Megan McCann her £1 million.

Definitely their bonuses should be looked at, it is a way to lock you in.

On 8/12/2019 at 5:11 PM, fatcabs said:

I said it on here a few weeks ago I bet you see account closed or restricted for winning but nothing for losing 

Why would they want to shut losing players out? That would just be silly

£633,000 is jaw dropping though.

having said that I once lost £12k (£3k up to £9k down) in around an hour online so I can see it being easy done.

why I no longer play online. Only so much damage I can do in bricks and mortar bookies and I take the amount I intend to gamble in the readies and leave my American Express Gold Card at home 🤣

Just getting round to watching this and what strikes me about the woman losing £633,000 is while 

a) she is wholly responsible for her actions

and 

b) Jackpot Joy should be shamed for allowing anyone to deposit so much in such a short space of time.

There is a “C” and it relates to the company in between this woman and Jackpot Joy, namely her bank!

Surely the Bank has a duty of care here as well to ensure that their customers are being responsible for their money and are not under duress to spend or potentially victims of fraud? Surely her bank should have started questioning her spending patterns?

Maybe they did and it goes back to point ‘a’ and she told them it’s my money to do as I please but if they didn’t they are equally culpable in this ladies demise (in my opinion of course)....

Archived