Coronavirus: Four Classics postponed - Royal Ascot may go behind closed doors - Horse Racing - Stop and Step

Coronavirus: Four Classics postponed - Royal Ascot may go behind closed doors

Skippy888

I don't see anything wrong with Ascot going ahead (With government permission) as long as we are on the long road to recovery by then. No public entrance. Tell owners not to come, absolute minimum staff. The enjoyment it would bring. I understand that there are a lot more people that I probably know about, security, doctors, vets, jockeys, tv technical staff, catering etc all travelling all over the country but it's mostly an outdoor event with plenty of space. 

Would be so good to see some sport on TV. My weekend life used to revolve around sport on TV. People can get dressed up at home in their top hats and stuff and get pissed at home. 

?

But it's called Royal for a reason. The Queen attends. So owners can't come, but do trainers, what for?

Then there's the stable lads and lasses, the jockeys, the valets, the stewards - and no bookmakers, so they'll open the course up for nothing, and if it's televised, there will be loads of TV crew, pundits, commentators, not to mention St Johns ambulance and catering. There's more chance of them throwing at 24-hour rave at Windsor Castle than there is of Royal Ascot taking place. 

• 4 weeks later...

Organisers of the Royal Ascot meeting are planning for it to go ahead, without spectators, from 16 June while the Oaks and the Derby have been earmarked for July.

23-24 May: Pavilion, Sagaro, Paradise Stakes (Ascot); Nell Gwyn, Craven (Newmarket); Greenham, Fred Darling, Aston Park (Newbury); Brigadier Gerard (Sandown); Conqueror (Goodwood); Pinnacle (Haydock)

24-31 May: Lockinge (Newbury); Palace House (Newmarket); Yorkshire Cup, Dante, Musidora, Middleton (York); Cecil Frail, Spring Trophy (Haydock).

5-6 June: 2,000 Guineas, 1,000 Guineas, Pretty Polly, (Newmarket); Coronation Cup (Epsom); Bronte Cup (York)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/52494300

If Royal Ascot goes ahead they should have ten races each day instead of six or seven. With the classics earmarked for July most horses will need a prep run. I can see horses winning at huge prices and winning by even bigger margins. 

I was up on Epsom Downs every day last week and they were watering the course as they would normally. I'll be going up there early tomorrow to watch the horses doing their morning excercise, it will be interesting to hear what the trainers think. 

• 1 month later...

Well it went ahead but not the same is is without the crowd. I felt anti-climax as I was looking forward to Ascot. 

There have been more than usual  strange results with the youngsters as so few warm up runs. 

Archived